On June 21, 2019, a major fire broke out at a furniture market in Kalindi Kunj, New Delhi. Although no one was injured as per news reports, a mishap as dangerous as this one could have been in control had the Delhi Government thought about the implementation of ambient air quality monitoring equipment across the city.
Air quality monitoring is an absolute necessity in every corner of all major cities of the country. A lot of times, people ignore the fact that if a particular area is affected by pollution by crop or garbage burning, dumping of garbage, traffic pollution then that doesn’t mean the neighboring place is any less polluted.
For instance, a fire at the furniture market in Kalindi Kunj is proof that all the neighboring areas get equally affected by the fire. AQI monitors which are installed in various location in and around Kalindi Kunj Metro Station started to spike between 5.00 AM and 9.00 AM.
Here is the graphical representation of fluctuating AQI level before, during and after the fire broke out in the furniture market near Kalindi Kunj Metro Station in New Delhi.
The Need for Ambient Air Quality Monitoring Equipment in Every City
With given facts and figures, rising pollution cases and causes has made people of the country suffer from various health issues. The effects of modern-day air pollution, primarily due to the industrial, road & traffic and many other negligent sources has made it imperative to introduce National Air Quality Strategies.
But there is a loophole – Is the Government doing enough about these regarding air pollution in the Indian cities?
To measure the AQI of the country, it is important to install ambient air quality monitoring equipment in every city. Installing these devices can help curb air pollution to greater lengths.
With the help of monitoring and interpretation of data, people can easily understand the quality and standard of the air that they’re breathing.
“In most stations in India, ambient air quality monitoring is carried out manually using high volume samplers and respirable dust samplers with gaseous attachments, primarily to monitor PM, SO2, and NO2. The monitoring of pollutants is needed to be carried out for 24 hours (4-hourly sampling for gaseous pollutants and 8-hourly sampling for particulate matter).” – Source, Down To Earth.
Ambient Air quality monitoring equipment will cater to:
Air pollution can cause both short and long term health effect, irrespective of the age, caste, and the level of working position the person is in. The rapid increase in pollution level in urban cities and now rural cities too should be a concern for everyone.
This is why learning more about the parameters which are accountable for the various aspect of pollution has now become extremely important. With the help of ambient air quality monitoring equipment which must be installed across the country, we would be one step closer:
- People with heart or lung conditions, or other breathing problems – They can check and plan their activities as per the AQI level in their locations.
- Parents and health care professionals can look after the children and people who need extra attention, especially on days when there is high pollution risk.
- Researchers who want to know more about air pollution, its causes, and sources and simultaneously work on ways to reduce air pollution.
- The community of scientific and scholar people/students who need data on air pollution levels and trends, real-time and historic to generate reports and papers.
An effective Air Quality Monitoring device help in many ways:
- They ascertain you if the air you’re breathing is good or bad.
- Shows you various parameters of AQI (Air Quality Index) – both indoors and outdoors.
- Can save you from potential mishap by notifying about any spike in any of the parameters.
- Monitors can provide quick alerts about areas affected by the high level of dangerous air pollutants.
- Analyze the areas to see how they are affected and for how long it has been affected.
- Serves as a precautionary measure to unforeseen mishappenings.
Monitoring Air quality has become really essential. It doesn’t just help us understand the Air around us, but also help us take precautions and action according to the particulate matter present in the air. While these are the most common things that usually people who understand AQI know, there’s another important aspect that monitoring the Air can help the city in the grander scheme of things – Like help in curbing fires across the city.
How are you maintaining your indoor and outdoor pollution level? Visit www.aqi.in to learn about various pollution trends across the country.